Experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Stopped taking narcotics. What do you suggest?

Hi there,

I had a serious shoulder injury and was taking close to 20mg a day of norco, for the past three years. I did not want to be a slave to pain medication, so I decided to quit cold XXXXXXX It has now been two months, and I am still getting returning waves of the physical withdrawal symptoms. I get bouts of nausea, and lightheadness, panic attacks, the chills, exhaustion, etc. Is this normal? I have never had any of these symptoms before I quit. The symptoms seem to come on randomly, and last for a little while, and sometimes go away for weeks. It is so strange. I have already seen a neurologist, cardiologist, and my primary care doctor, and they said everything looks perfect. Any information would be much appreciated.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Let me congratulate you on deciding to quit narcotics! It is half the battle won.

Norco contains the narcotic hydroxycodone which can be addicting and cause withdrawal symptoms on stopping after prolonged use.

You are right in guessing it to be withdrawal (cold turkey).

If you feel really embarrassed and medical help is not coming your way, you may consider socializing, getting help from a clinical psychologist or a rehabilitation service in your area.
It helps.

You may be evaluated by the professional and may be put on some substitute and then withdraw gradually to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Stopped taking narcotics. What do you suggest? 12 hours later
Thank Dr.,

So it is normal that these symptoms still come and go, even though it has been 2 months? Like I said, I have seen a cardiologist, neurologist, etc. Thanks so much.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 9 hours later
the symptoms are going away for weeks in between. It can not be due to some other disease.

It may be just anxiety and panic.
For neurological and systemic symptoms, you need to consult a clinical psychologist or a counselor and sometimes a physician to manage withdrawal.

I hope there is no shoulder pain, swelling, immobility there.

Have a strong will to overcome this minor problem. Do not worry. You will feel fine.