Experiencing weakness, neck and head hurts. History of severe HTN/asthma/PE. Having sinus problem. Suggest

I am 41 year old female. Had past history of severe HTN/asthma/PE, cholesterol was high, potassium levels was low. Recentrly I am experiencing weakness, my left side neck and head hurts. Feels like my jaw and ear in pain. I can even brush my hair, left sited the he had is very sensitive. Plus I had sinus problem, using afrin for 2 years, but stoped 2 months ago, but still struggling w/ my sinuses. 8 weeks ago I stoped eat red meat and bad carbs, lost about 12 lb. Best Regards,
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 47 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding your health concerns. I think since you have a history of low potassium it would be a good idea for you to see a position for some blood testing. The blood testing might include checking your electrolytes as well as your kidney and liver function in addition to your blood counts to rule out things like anemia. There are many different laboratory abnormalities which might contribute to some of the symptoms you have experienced.

Regarding your sinuses I am sure you are aware that usually we do not recommend using Afrin or any more than a few days. The reason why we usually recommend against long-term use of this particular formulation is because your body becomes very accustomed to the medication. It can be difficult to discontinue this medication completely as your body will develop some congestion which will slowly resolve overtime. I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. Your doctor might consider providing you with a steroid nasal spray which might help alleviate some of your congestion symptoms.

If the laboratory testing is completely normal it might be a good idea for your doctor to have you see a cardiologist or somebody who can perform a stress test just to make sure your heart and lungs are performing adequately.

Overall I would suggest that you see your physician for a focused consultation and comprehensive physical examination.

Regarding your diet congratulations on making some adjustments to improve your health. This will pay off over many many years. I hope you are incorporating some exercise into your regimen as well.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga