Experiencing weakness behind right knee after sitting for a while. What to do?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi sir, I am experiencing a weakness behind my right knee after sitting for awhile. When I get up to walk, I sometimes need to take a few steps before my leg feels strong enough to support my weight. I am a 64 year old, 175lbs, in good health who takes no meds or drugs of any kind. When we were kids, we would sometimes walk behind each other and place our knees into the rear legs, right behind the knees, of the kid in front and softly knock the area causing the kid to fall almost before recovering. My knee, at times, feels like that.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The weakness that you feel after getting up from a sitting position is likely to be due to a mild lumbar spine.
An MRI scan of the lumbar spine will help in detecting any such degenerative change.
The following measures will help you
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Taking methylcobalamin supplements for at least 4 weeks will help after consulting with your physician.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Experiencing weakness behind right knee after sitting for a while. What to do? 1 hour later
Thanks Doc....how many units of B12 do you suggest. Are some forms better than others? Is this easily assimilated?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You will need 1500 mcg of methylcobalamin daily. It can be taken at night for at least two weeks to show an effect. It is easily assimilated and is well tolerated. You can get it prescribed from your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.