Experiencing very thin bowel movements. Having dull pain in buttocks and a sharper pain in rectum. Concerned?

Hi there. I am a 29 year old female and have been experiencing very thin bowel movements on and off for the past few months. I also have a dull pain on the inner right side of my buttocks and a sharper pain in my rectum when I cough. I am very concerned and am experiencing a lot of anxiety over this.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation may be causing the pain.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Constipation is what I think may be causing you the pain.
This may be due to altered bowel habits.
In this situation I would advise my patients to
Drink plenty of water.
Add more fiber to the diet like vegetables and fruits. It prevents constipation and in the long run prevents even colonic cancer.
Regular voluntary voiding of the stool to prevent constipation.
Use laxative to easy the bowel movement.

With all the above methods if the symptoms don't improve then consult your doctor. He may advise you Ultrasound of the abdomen and colonoscopy. You may need to follow it up with a Gastroenterologist.