Experiencing upset stomach, diarrhea and loss of appetite. Normal with people of diveritulitis or diverticulosis?

Gastroenterologist
Question
HISTORY: Earlier this year, my husband had his first attack of diverticulitis, diagnosed via CT scan. He recovered and now takes Metamucil daily. (His colonoscopy last year showed some diverticulosis and no other abnormalities.)

WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW: Whenever he goes off his normal diet, he experiences an upset stomach, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. After a few days, he feels fine again.

QUESTION: Is this normal with a history of diveritulitis or diverticulosis?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Diverticulosis is usually asymptomatic. There may be associated constipation.
But when complication occurs resulting in diverticulitis, there may be crampy abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Sometimes there may be coexisting symptoms like irritable bowel syndrome causing these symptoms.
So the symptoms he is having may be due to due to recurrent attacks of diverticulitis or due to a coexisting irritable bowel syndrome.

So the answer for your question is - yes it is normal with a history of diverticulitis . But other conditions should be looked in to.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Experiencing upset stomach, diarrhea and loss of appetite. Normal with people of diveritulitis or diverticulosis? 24 minutes later
Does that mean that each of these incidents of abdominal pain and diarrhea may be another diverticulitis attack? Should we be getting more CT scans to see if they are?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
As mentioned in my previous post, diverticulitis is just one of the causes.
There are other causes as well like irritable bowel syndrome which has to be ruled out.
There is no need for more CT scans.
A stool analysis and a complete blood count are more appropriate tests than CT scans.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Experiencing upset stomach, diarrhea and loss of appetite. Normal with people of diveritulitis or diverticulosis? 9 hours later
Do the stool analysis and complete blood count have to be done while he has the abdominal pain and diarrhea, or can they be done at any time?

Brief Answer:
Should be done while having symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Stool analysis and complete blood count should be done while he is having the symptoms.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini