Experiencing twitching, shaking in arms and vibrating throughout the body. Is something serious?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am a thirty year old male. I recently began experiencing twitching and shaking in my arms and a vibrating/shaking feeling throughout my body. At the time my doctor said it was unlikely to be anything serious and was probably just anxiety (for which I take Klonopin). Recently, however, I have been experiencing trembling in my legs (my right more than my left, I think) whenever I am standing and they feel weak- as if I've just exercised them, and my knees seem to buckle slightly, too. Whenever I stretch my right leg it trembles uncontrolably and my legs feel tensed up a lot of the time. Also, when I am sitting or lying down I get twitching in both legs and sometimes violent jerks in both legs and throughout my body (this is worse at night). The trembling when standing or stretching is the biggest constant but I also experience it when I am sitting, usually if I am feeling particulary anxious. Is likely to be anxiety? BFS? Or something more serious? Is it urgent?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be restless leg syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. It could be restless leg syndrome. Many women who have good medication for mild cases of restless leg syndrome. However, it is better to check with your doctor to see if you really have this issue. It can get worse with fatigue as you mentioned. Does it interfere with your sleep? Let me know if you have any question in this regard. I wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Experiencing twitching, shaking in arms and vibrating throughout the body. Is something serious? 21 minutes later
It certianly doesn't seem like RLS to me. I don't have an urge to move any of my limbs and the weakness persists in my legs when I am moving. Would the twitching or violent jerks in other parts of the body (such as the neck and head) be consistent with RLS? And would stretching not provide relief rather than cause the leg to tremble more? It doesn't get worse for me with fatigue but, rather, certain of the symptoms get worse when I'm feeling anxious. Others (the leg weakness and trembling) remain the same. I don't have any back problems. It interferes with me getting to sleep but not remaining asleep.

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
BFS usually involved the small muscles.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Benign fasciculation syndrome usually affects the small muscles like those in the eyelid.
Your muscle spasms could be due to tension. It could also be due to neck problems. Many people who work with computer in a stooped posture may find neck problems that could affect their muscle. Do you have any neck pain or any tenderness in your middle neck area?

Follow-up: Experiencing twitching, shaking in arms and vibrating throughout the body. Is something serious? 5 hours later
I do work with a computer a lot but I do not have any neck pain or tenderness.

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be restless legs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again, if you do not have neck problem, let me tell you that in restless leg diagnostic questionnaire, the third from eight questions is that "do your legs jump or move a lot involuntarily while sitting or lying down?'' It is very probable that you have restless leg syndrome. You should be checked for anemia and also thyroid function. Best