Experiencing trouble with bowel. Have had accident, take actonel. Suggest?

May 2014

I am 84 and experiencing a little trouble with my bowel - I need to go sometimes 3 times each morning - not always but it takes quite a few wipes to clean myself. I have had a slight accident and haven't realised until I've visited the toilet.

Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I suppose you are having osteoporosis and weakness in your bones for which you are taking Actonel (risendronate).

There has been research on diarrhea with the use of Actonel. Some of the facts concerning diarrhea in people taking Actonel are as follows.

Out of 0000 patients, 943 (5.75%) reported having diarrhea while on treatment with Actonel.
61.5% out of 943 who experienced diarrhea were over 60 years of age.
Almost 25 % patients reported having diarrhea within a month and another 25% within 6 months of starting Actonel.
Almost all patients reported moderate intensity diarrhea.

Please contact your doctor and discuss regarding the suitability of Actonel for you.

Further queries welcome.

Dr. Vivek