Experiencing tiredness and muscle aches. Taking hydrocodone for ostioarthritis. Elevated blood sugar can cause tiredness?

I am a 70 year old man, experiencing a lot of tiredness, muscle aches, I do take hydrocodone(5mg) for ostioarthritis, also take others,ie., simvastatin, metformin, lisinopril, atenolol. I understand elevated blood sugar can cause tiredness? have blood sugar readings 117-140.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Re-evaluation for diabetic complications needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Forum.

You have not mentioned whether the blood sugar readings are fasting or post-prandial; the duration of diabetes; whether any complications of diabetes, such as kidney and/or heart involvement has occurred.

* All Statins, including Simvastatin (prescribed for high cholesterol levels), cause wasting of muscles and thereby, muscle pains. Meticulous control of diabetes will bring down cholesterol levels to normal/near-normal range. So, PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR DIABETES IS UNDER IDEAL CONTROL. This will also bring down the requirement of Simvastatin.

* Poorly controlled diabetes (that is, elevated blood sugar) starves all organs, including muscles and nerves, of glucose- the ready source of energy. Controlled blood sugar will ensure adequate supply of ready fuel (sugar) to starving organs/muscles --> no weakness or muscle aches.

* Muscle aches can also be due to kidneys involvement or, heart involvement as a complication of diabetes.

* Hypothyroidism- which too causes tiredness and muscle aches- should also be evaluated for, since it frequently co-exists with diabetes

I therefore recommend that you consult your treating doctor, who will order estimation of lipids, degree of sugar control, Thyroids, heart and kidneys' functional status. Depending on the tests' reports, he will modify your treatment accordingly.

I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any.

Warm regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal