Experiencing tingling sensation, pain and weakness in hand, shoulder and neck. Underlying cause?

Radiologist
Question
My name is XXXXXXX and I'm a 29 year old male with tingling, pain, and weakness in my left hand, shoulder, and neck. I often experience the neck and shoulder pain first and as a result my hand and forearm tingles and become weak. This has been on going for almost two years now. Recently I've experienced pain in my chest on the left side when I breathe. More so when I inhale. The pain is a sharp pain that often radiate to my left shoulder blade. I've recently had a cardio cat test on my heart and the results came back well. Could you please shine some light on a possible source of my pain? Thank you in advance.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Tingling , pain and weakness in left upper arm has two differential diagnosis either cardiac problem or cervical spine problem. As your cardio test is normal the first diagnosis is ruled out.
All symptoms are possibly due intervertebral disc prolapse or protrusion in cervical spine. Such prolapsed disc causes compression of nerve root giving rise to all symptoms. Though you are young, it may occurs due to misalignment caused by stress on neck.
You need to consult board certified orthopaedician for clinical examination. MRI Of cervical spine is necessary to quantify the pathology. It is the diagnostic investigation. Don't waste money on blood tests.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation, pain and weakness in hand, shoulder and neck. Underlying cause? 4 hours later
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 9 hours later
Hi, welcome back.

Hopefully you are satisfied with my response. If you have any doubt let me know.

Regards.