Experiencing tingling sensation on foot. Tested for vit D level. Related to parathyroid issue?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
Recently my doctor ordered the wrong vit d test and ordered the vit d
1, 25 dihydroxy instead. This came back very elevated at 99. My calcium is ok at 9.7. My phosphorus is normal too. I went for a ct scan and that was normal. Didnt show tb or
Sarcoidosis or swollen lymphs. All of my auto immune has come back normal. My regular vit d is 36. My parathyroid was at 55. Lab high is 65.

Could this still be a parathyroid issue w those high normal? I feel very anxious
(Although have a history of panic). My reflexes have always been jumpy but I feel like more now. Also some tingles in toes on one foot.

Do you have any insight or could these vit d Levels mean nothing? I feel ok otherwise.
I should add that I am a 37 year old female. I had a thyroid Sono that was normal. So while I have only lost one pound, I feel like I eat more to Maintain weight. Thank you. All other blood work, CBC, Crp, esr
Plus many others are normal.
What else should I do?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 12 hours later
Hello

I do understand that you are a 37 year old female, concerned about your vitamin d levels. Your vitamin d3, calcium and parathyroid levels are normal. I would ignore your 1,25 vitamin d3 levels as all other parameters are normal.

I feel you may not be suffering from any parathyroid related problem. Many of the parathyroid problem will present with high calcium and high parathormone. Anxiety perse can cause bumpy reflexes and nothing to be worried.

Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation on foot. Tested for vit D level. Related to parathyroid issue? 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply. Can a high 1, 25 dihydroxy be a XXXXXXX thing to have or could it just be normal for me? You feel it can be high and I can stop searching for a specific disease that is causing it? This has caused me an incredible amount of worry.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 18 minutes later
Hello

Your high 1,25 vitamin D3, in the context of normal calcium and normal bone may not have much clinical significance and I would ignore the report.

Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation on foot. Tested for vit D level. Related to parathyroid issue? 6 days later
I just received my thyroid sono report. This is what it states:

The Thyroid gland is not enlarged.
The Ishmus measures 2.2 mm in diameter. The right lobe measures 4.6 x 1.6 x1.4 cm. the left lobe measures 4.4 x1.5 x 1 cm.

The thyroid gland demonstrates a mildly heterogenous appearance.
Color doppler demonstrates no abnormality.
There is no solid or cystic thyroid nodule.

Unremarkable study.

What does the heterogenous piece mean?

Also my thyroid levels are as follows:

TSH 1.01

parathyroid 55.

I know that the parathyroid is on the high side of normal. Even if i do not have a true parathyroid issue, can that level cause symptoms of weight loss and some tingling?

Thank you. How should I proceed? I am still concerned about the 1, 25

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 19 hours later
Hello

Your thyroid size and blood tests are normal. Heterogenous are radiological terms to describe a particular finding, which signifies that the sonographic feature is not uniform. In your context it seems to be normal.

I would still ignore your PTH as it is within the normal and your calcium and vitamin D3 is normal.

regards

Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation on foot. Tested for vit D level. Related to parathyroid issue? 25 hours later
Last question and thank you for your help. I will follow up w my doctor. Do you think two negative rpr test for syphills rules that out? Are they accurate? They were done 8 and 2 years ago when pregnant and no chance to become infected since then of course but I always worry about many many years ago.
I am just trying to think of any infections that could also cause a rise in that 1, 25 level if any. I'm going to be asked to be tested for lymes, but I was tested 1.5 years ago

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 9 minutes later
Hello

Nothing to be worried and 2 negative tests usually rules out syphilis.

regards