Experiencing tingling sensation in hands, muscle and joint pain. Is this an acute HIV symptom?

I have been getting muscle pain and joint pain since last one month. Initially only joint pain in left leg was there but it has spread in right leg, left shoulder joint pain, right leg painful muscle pain. Tingling in right hand.Is it an acute HIV symptom? I didn't have any other symptom other than this but the pain is not getting reduced. Pls reply I am very scared. I had protected oral but I didn't wash private part because I was afraid to use wash room on unhygienic issue. I have tried Ibuprofen, paracetamol on own. When consulted to physician he prescribed Etoshine 90mg. My question is only joint pain/Muscle pain, tingling in hand is Acute HIV symptom? Or it is related to anxiety? How to reduce the pain?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 hours later

My apologies for the delayed response; I was at a conference and was unable to attend your query.

Pain localized to multiple body areas is referred to as polymyalgia and let me assure you that polymyalgia does not suggest HIV infection. In addition, the chances of HIV transmission through a protected oral intercourse are close to zero.

Therefore in all probabilities I will not relate your complaints to HIV.

I can understand your anxiety. And yes, the symptoms can be associated with your anxiety. In addition to your medication, I suggest you to run a few test such as complete blood count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) and Creatinine Phosphokinase (CPK) to exclude inflammatory condition. You may also consider professional counselling at a nearest Integrated Counselling and Testing Centre (ICTC).

Hope this is information is reassuring. If needed, I shall be glad to help you further.

Good luck!!
Follow-up: Experiencing tingling sensation in hands, muscle and joint pain. Is this an acute HIV symptom? 2 days later
Thank you very much doctor.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later
I am glad that my answer helped you. Please close our discussion and rate it. You can find ICTC centre at nearest major government hospital.