Experiencing tingling sensation in arms and upper back. What is causing this feeling?

Jul 2012

I'm experiencing "pins and needles" in my arms and upper back. From time to time during the day ,I get a tingling sensation in the arms and upper back. I also feel a temperature surge but I've checked and the difference is negligible. As far as I know, I have no other underlying illness. I have no medical history to offer you; apart from these symptoms, I feel well - I have no pain, nausea or tiredness, my body functions are normal, no constipation or diarrhea. This problem has been with me for about a week.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.

I read with interest your pins & needles query & note your age detail. As all your other parameters are normal & you do not have any other major ailments, I think you have absolutely nothing to fear. This sensation can arise from a variety of reasons but will largely be a result of the 'nerve' supplyng this area getting 'pinched' at some point from its origin to its supplying the fibres to that particular region. The temperature surge may be some sort of a viral infection & the two need not be connected at all. Please try to sleep flat on a firm mattress or flat hard bedding sans (without) using a pillow or /& review your posture while sitting either at home or in your car etc. It is at best a minor problem but if these simple measures fail to give you any symptomatic relief, do visit your local neurologist or GP for further evaluations. I wish you good health & feel free to get back anytime & hope have put your mind at rest & you are a lot more relaxed before as opposed to after you read my answer :) cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist,