Experiencing tingling, pain and weakness in hand, shoulder and neck. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My name is XXXXXXX and I'm a 29 year old male with tingling, pain, and weakness in my left hand, shoulder, and neck. I often experience the neck and shoulder pain first and as a result my hand and forearm tingles and become weak. This has been on going for almost two years now. Recently I've experienced pain in my chest on the left side when I breathe. More so when I inhale. The pain is a sharp pain that often radiate to my left shoulder blade. I've recently had a cardio cat test on my heart and the results came back well. The military doctors do know what else to do. Could you please shine some light on a possible source of my pain? Thank you in advance.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Stiff neck with pain in the neck and shoulder with tingling and numbness in the forearm and hand is suggestive of a vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Experiencing tingling, pain and weakness in hand, shoulder and neck. Cause and cure? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. Yes, I suffered extreme trauma to my back several years ago. The pain went away with meds but resurfaced a little over a year later. Every so often when I sit, I stand with extreme stiffness in my back and knees. Sometimes I have muscle spasms in my lower back on the left side which makes me buckle forcing me to lean to my right with every squeeze. Is this a result of you previous diagnoses? Also, how do this explain my chest pain? As a military member, when I run, my shoulder pain makes me nauseous. The last three times I ran, it felt as if someone was squeezing my heart. Maybe it was muscle related but it hurt like hell. I though I was have a heart attack. My left pec is swollen and tender to the touch.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the neck and shoulder with swelling in the pectorals could be related to cervical spondylosis. An MRI scan of the area will help in proper diagnosis.
The chest pain could be related to musculoskeletal disorders or hiatus hernia or myositis. A direct examination will help in detecting the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Experiencing tingling, pain and weakness in hand, shoulder and neck. Cause and cure? 4 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards