Experiencing tingling and numbness in hands. Is this a sign of an illness?

Hi. My wife has the following symptoms ...
--About seven or eight times in the last two months she has experienced tingling and numbness in her left hand, left foot, or both. The sensation usually lasts for one to two hours than goes away.
--Over the same period, after periods of heavy exertion, she will occasionally get tremors in her left hand.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your concern and medical problem

In view of strict one-sided symptoms, I feel that neurological problem need exclusion in your case. I advise you to get a CT scan of the brain to rule out a possibility of neurological cause. A sensory seizure needs definite exclusion, which will require an Electroencephalogram (a test that maps the brain function and tell you if there are seizures). The other causes of such complaints are low calcium in blood, thyroid problem etc.

I advise you to be evaluated by a local neurologist who will guide you the way I have discussed.

Hope I have clarified your query.
Please get back to me in case you have any query in this issue.
Best wishes.