Experiencing tenderness on Adam's apple, pain in neck and throat when yawning. Chances of tumour?

ENT Specialist
Hi. I am 38 years old and I chewed tobacco for 10 years from the age of 18-28. I have been clean for 10 years. I am experiencing tenderness on palpation of my Adam's XXXXXXX pain in neck/throat when yawning for the last 10 days. I have some discomfort when swallowing, but it is minimal. Most of my pain occurs with yawning. I am obviously concerned about some kind of tumor due to my history with chewing tobacco. I cannot get an appointment with my ENT until December, so I am trying to figure out what this is.

I am not sick, although I just had a staph infection in my left arm and have been taking antibiotics for a week. The pain I have while yawning was happening before my staph infection diagnosis. I had a sore throat for about a day last week, but that has since subsided.

Please let me know if you need additional information.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms described by you could be the features of either laryngo-pharyngeal reflux or sub-mucous fibrosis following prolonged tobacco chewing.

Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux is a condition wherein the acid from the stomach when it regurgitates into the esophagus and the throat, the mucosa of the throat gets irritated leading to inflammation of the throat. Inflammation of the mucosa in turn induces mucosal swelling, giving rise to foreign body sensation and throat discomfort.

Secondly, due to prolonged tobacco chewing there could be changes in the mucosa of the throat and the oral cavity causing fibrosis of the mucosa and thus the above symptoms.

A thorough examination is required to find out the actual cause of your problem.

My advice to you is:

1. To drink plenty of warm water.
2. To take mild pain relievers such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.
3. Avoid chilled beverages/coffee/smoking/alcohol if any.
4. Proton pump inhibitor (such as omeprazole or pantoperazole) for reducing acid reflux.

I doubt any cancer in your case; but it cannot be completely denied unless a complete examination of the oral cavity and throat is done.

With the above medications your problems should subside. Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Experiencing tenderness on Adam's apple, pain in neck and throat when yawning. Chances of tumour? 5 hours later
Thanks for your quick response. I have also been experiencing increasing discomfort today in the mylohyoid region when swallowing. Can that be related to what you described? Or does this information change your previous answer?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later

Welcome back

There could be mild infection with inflammation. If you feel the pain is severe, you can try some mild antibiotics such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime and other medicines as mentioned before.

If the symptoms does not improve even after a week, then you can consult your doctor for a detailed examination.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT And Head & Neck Surgeon