Experiencing symptoms similar to vertigo. CT scan came normal. Taking stemetil. Underlying cause?

hi I have been experiencing symptoms like vertigo now for nearly eight weeks and its been pretty constant I have had a ct scan and that was clear all my blood test have been good the doctor I see has referred me to a specialist I have been taking stemetil 5mg it was sort of helping but not much so now been told to try serc 16mg half tab twice a day will this help me more then the stemetil and I have never had any ear issues or any of these issues ever before it just came over me all of a sudden while I was driving one day and not sure what I should take stemetil or the serc
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take the medicines as advised by your doctor

Detailed Answer:

There are many instance where the reasons for vertigo are not known, however it should not stop the person to complete the necessary investigations. Since you had already done a CT scan and was referred to specialist, I suggest you to see one.

Now stemetil and serc (betahistine) both of them work by suppressing the vestibular system which is in the inner ear. Most common reasons for vertigo occur from the inner ear. So these medicines will help you relieve the symptom definitely. They should be continued for two weeks before you follow up again with the doctor / specialist.

I only could think of Benign positional vertigo in your case. At some position of the head there is imbalance of the vestibular system and caused the vertigo. Some ENT specialist do manouvres to ease the system if the drugs do not work.

So you have still a few options left to explore.
Follow-up: Experiencing symptoms similar to vertigo. CT scan came normal. Taking stemetil. Underlying cause? 7 minutes later
so which will be better for me to take as the stemetil only kinda works but have 16mg serc just haven't started them yet as I,m not sure which one is the best one to take
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the symptom resolution.

Detailed Answer:

If stemetil does not work, choose serc. If that does not work, you can take both of them together at half dose and increase the dose and it would not harm. Both of them have different mechanism of action. However I suggest you not to drive and not to involve in any hazardous tasks because they cause intense drowsiness.

Thank you.