Experiencing symptoms like anesthesia. Feeling black out. What can this be?

A few days ago while reading in bed, I experienced symptoms like anesthesia was being injected into my body. Or like a heavy dose of pain killer had hit my brain. The page was a little bit dimmer, but not blurred and the letters were visible. Everything was just a little bit dim and I started losing consciousned until I thought "this is it, I can't stop it, I'm going to pass out". Suddenly my right leg from groin to toes was red hot for a second and then everything went back to normal. Since then I have been fine. What was that episode? A TIA? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow at 12:30.

Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...You seem to be right as it definitely appears to be a TIA
Detailed answer...
Your symtoms appear to be due to TIA and it needs proper investigations to look for the cause and treatment so as you don't get stroke in future.
Since TIA is very transient,a general examination may not yield any finding except if you have high blood pressure.
Investigations required would be...
Blood investigations for diabetes,lipid profile,homocysteine etc.
You may be required to undergo..
Carotid ultrasonography to look for any narrowing or clotting of carotid arteries
CT or MTI angiography of head to evaluate arteries of neck and brain
Arteriography etc...
Once the cause is found,treatment is started by treating underlying high BP or diabetes,
Correcting dyslipidemia ,if any,anti platelet drugs,anti coagulants etc
Sometimes surgical procedures like carotid endarterectomy or angioplasty is done if neck artery is found to be moderately or severely narrowed.

Please do go to your doctor tomorrow and get yourself evaluated properly.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck