Experiencing swollen ankles. No periods. Athleticism. History of migraines, started with puberty. Has acne. What to do?

my 22 yr old daughter is experiencing very swollen ankles. She's visited the student health services near her college and they are ruling out more serious issues relating to her heart, kidneys, etc. She is very healthy however there's always been something a bit off. She has barely had a period for many years but we attributed it to her athleticism and the doctor's she visited said she seemed fine. They checked her out with an ultrasound a few years ago and everything seemed fine. She has a history of migraines that started with puberty and are often induced by running. Again, she was checked out thoroughly. She's had bouts of serious consitpation, but that seems to be over for now. She saw a specialist when there was suspicion that she might have Celiac's disease, but that came back negative. She's had acne, which is treated with minocycline. Although it's never been officially diagnosed, she thinks she has reynauds, her hands get very cold during the winter. Last year, one hand was significantly colder than the other one. Serious auto immune diseases on my side of the family. I have had hypothyroid since giving birth as do other members of my family. Husband's side has auto immune as well. Problem is she drops into student services with these issues which have occurred over time. She needs her own GP, which we're working on. But the swelling, and trust me, they don't look like the ankles of a healthy college student, which is what she is, in spite of the spate of issues. Hair, eyes, coloring all good. She feels fine and her feet don't hurt her at all. No joint pain and she exercises regularly, eats well. Oh, and one more thing, she's been gaining weight for no good reason.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Few suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
You have provided a good account of her history.
I have few suggestions:
Check her Thyroid functions by doing a TSH test.
Rule out pregnancy. If not sexually active rule out PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome) by doing a pelvic ultrasound & hormone tests like, FSH, LH, testosterone, etc. (her acne also may be one of the manifestation).
Enquire if she is taking any drugs or energy producing substances to increase her athletic performance, as it may be a side effect or allergic reaction to theses substances.
Remember, it is necessary for a girl to have periods every 3-4 months to avoid long term health risks & Gynecological problems. So MUST get in touch with a qualified Gynecologist.
Cardiac & Kidney status is already been evaluated as per the information provided by you.
Hope I have given you some valuable suggestions.
Best regards.