Experiencing swelling on temple and under eye. Sore to touch. On synthroid. How to get relief?

Nov 2013

I am experiencing swelling on my right temple and under my right eye. It is sore to the touch in the temple area. It hurts to open my mouth. I had a similar experience I week ago on the left side although in that case the swelling was slight and resolved itself in 24 hours.
I am on vacation in Mexico and have been sick since my arrival with diarrhea. No fever. I saw a doctor here who prescribed antibiotic and anti-parasitic medicines. I have taken those medications for three days. The diarrhea was resolved quickly but now this situation with my temple has occurred.
I am a 60 year old female. Excellent health. I take synthroid but no other medications. Not overweight.
Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The description, which you have given, is suggestive of inflammation in the region afected.
Pain, swelling and tenderness to touch, are all signs of inflammation.
The likely causes for the problem could be an infection of the area affected (mild cellulitis), an insect bite or a mild injury.
To start with, you could start anti-inflammatory drugs such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.
If it does not resolve or if you get fever, you may take a course of antibiotics.
As of now, you need not worry. I feel it may resolve with anti-inflammatory agents.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM