Experiencing strange metallic smell. Have slight elevated cholesterol. Cause?

My husband has been experiencing a strange smell for the past several weeks. His description is vague, not really bad, perhaps a little metallic, a little dusty. No one else smells it. He is in good health, minor hip and slightly elevated cholesterol.should we be concerned or see any particular specialist? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Strange smell

Detailed Answer:
Delighted to be able to help.

Your husband has a problem in the perception of smell. He experiences strange smell and nobody else experiences it. He experiences strange smell without cause to it.

The most frequent cause of problems in the perception of smell are nose pathologies (nose secretion problems ...). He must go to a throat ear and nose specialist for exploration and additional tests.
If nose pathologies are ruled out, he should go to a neurologist to rule out central nervous system pathologies. These pathologies are more important but less frequent.

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.
I wish you good health