Experiencing strange feeling of hissing in the head and pressure in carotid artery. What's going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am experiencing a strange feeling when i move my eyes. it feels like an adrenaline rush with a hiss or a noise like a switch in my head. i can also feel a sort of pressure in my carotoid artery at same time
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The strange feeling of hissing in the head could be related to vertigo.
This may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case-
1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves.
2.Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any associoation with headache?
3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by a specialist.
4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors.
5. cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck.
6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia
You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Experiencing strange feeling of hissing in the head and pressure in carotid artery. What's going on? 6 hours later
Hi, to be honest i find you reply a bit vague, and had i known i wouldnt get a reply for so long i wouldnt have paid 18 pounds. I could have visited gp today as you advised. Reason i asked onlineis because i was worried. so is it not possible to have been anything to do with low hb? or perhaps absence seizure? or even low blood pressure? i dont and didnt have a headache, nor neck pain..... in fact it was very unusual out of the ordinary symptom,which i dont think you should have replied indicating you have answered my query, when infact you didnt. i think i have wasted 18 pounds of my money, and really would like it returned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
It is actually difficult sometimes to come to a diagnosis without the benefit of a direct examination. The low hemoglobin levels are not likely to cause intermittent symptoms like you are having.
Absence seizures is also a less likely possibility.
Hypotension is not likely to cause a swish like feeling like you described.
It is best to get yourself examined from a physician.
If you feel my answer is not helpful, you can talk to our customer care representative for a refund.