Experiencing stabbing pain in the centre of chest with a sudden urge to cough. What is it?

Hi, I am experiencing some stabbing pain in the center of my chest with a sudden urge to cough. It almost feels like there is pressure building up that is almost taking my breath away. The cough releases it but then it just starts over again, always accompanied with the chestpain.
Since I submitted my question about 1 hour ago, the chest pain is getting worse, specially when active and it feels like it is spreading into my back.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

This could be because of several causes. But the most important one that has to be ruled out is a cardiac related condition. So contact ER at the earliest possible.

Some times reflux esophagitis may also cause such a pain. If the cardiac etiology is ruled out by your doctor then he will investigate you for such causes. If this cause is confirmed he will advise you to take proton pump inhibitors and antacids.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Experiencing stabbing pain in the centre of chest with a sudden urge to cough. What is it? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I was diagnosed with myocarditis about 20 years ago but never had complications after that.
Would my heart be more vulnerable to other cardio related conditions after that?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

Do not worry about that now. A ECG is urgently required based on the complaints given by you to see if there is any IHD (Ischaemic heart disease) or not. So I suggest you should go to the ER at the earliest possible for the same.