Experiencing stabbing pain in abdomen, dull constant heavy period pain. Swollen stomach and had sex. Is it fibroids?

Dec 2012

Hi, I am experiencing stabbing pains in my abdominal to the sides, middle and upper, and a dull constant heavy period pain. My stomach feels swollen too and I've been taking aspirin and paracetamol for the past 5 days to no avail. I've had this for about a week now. I'm 47 and my last period was mid August. I had a copper coil fitted in January which I have been okay with so far. I saw a doctor yesterday and she took a swob for infection and did a pregnancy test which was negative. She referred me for an ultrascan, but I have to wait 4 weeks for my appointment. I had sex 2 weeks ago unprotected, so I plan to have an STD test done at my local health clinic too, but I am concerned that it may be fibroids or ovarian cancer, and am very worried about waiting 4 weeks for the ultrascan. I have never felt this uncomfortable in my abdomen before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Envisage all possibilities with acute abdomen

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting,

I am sorry for your troubles and I do understand that it might be a terrible experience. It is always important to envisage all possibilities when it comes to abdominal pains (especially in a woman of reproductive age). The most common causes of your symptoms could be:
- Symptomatic uterine fibroids (it is a benign ovarian tumor)
- Ruptured ovarian cyst
- Severe Dyspepsia
- Peptic ulcer diseases
- Intestinal occlusion
- Acute appendicitis
- Acute UTI= pyelonephritis
- Rarely ovarian or uterine cancer
- Acute Pelvic inflammatory diseases: important to rule out STDs
I am mentioning all of this so you know that with just the symptoms you have presented it is wise to consider all the possibilities but personally I would not consider the possibility of a cancer (as it is often rare and your symptoms are not sufficient to justify its presence). How ever, given that your symptoms are unspecific, then it will be necessary for an emergency abdomino-pelvic ultrasound scan (so do not know why it has to be scheduled only after 4 weeks).
also, you need to stop taking aspirin as it will promote bleeding (as it is a blood thinning medication); and also peptic ulcer. You can take just alternatively opioid derivatives (that will have to be prescribed by your doctor) to ease your pains.
Also surgery should be envisaged if symptoms persist in the nearest possible time.
I also suggest you see a gynecologist (if you have not yet seen one).

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Experiencing stabbing pain in abdomen, dull constant heavy period pain. Swollen stomach and had sex. Is it fibroids? 1 hour later
Thank you that is very helpful and reassuring. Do you think I should ask to see a doctor again tomorrow (Friday) to let him/her know of my continued pain / concern - could they not then refer me for an urgent ultra sound scan tomorrow?. I was referred, but my local health clinic rang today to say they can only fit me in in 4 weeks for an appointment, which given my pain, worries me greatly. If not i am wondering whether I should just go to A&E to have an urgent scan?! Also wondering about asking to have a nurse or doctor to remove my copper coil, as am concerned this could also be one of the reasons for my discomfort and swelling. It's been okay since I had it inserted in XXXXXXX but I've been reading anti advice on the web about the body rejecting foreign elements, especially when there is copper involved. And I would rather use condoms and be safe that way, than feel swelling/pain etc. I just feel that at this point and time of evening i should eradicate all the possibilities. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your points are good

Detailed Answer:

Most the points you have raised are good and I will encourage that you go in for it. Well, if your pain persist (without relief) the doctor is under the obligation to help you feel better, so I feel that you will have to see the doctor again tomorrow if you do not feel any better today till tomorrow. As for referring to do a scan, it is up to your doctor and not me. I do not know if going to the A&E could get you immediate medical assistance hence an ultrasound scan.
There is also the possibility of rejection of copper coil (which is noticed in many women). This can also occur in long term, reason why you might not have experienced it when you started using the coil. It is always safest to practice sex with a condom and when you choose to practice unprotected sex, it should be with one unique partner after both of you have done all the necessary STD tests.
I will also suggest you see a gynecologist if your problem becomes more complicated or solution is taking much time to come.

Wish you the best and hope this helps
Dr. Nsah