Experiencing stabbing pain and shortness of breathe. Should I go for medical check up?

My son is 17, we have been to a skating party this afternoon, and come home, XXXXXXX had something to eat and then had this reoccurring stabbing pain and since then has been short of breath and it's painful ..should we be going to the emergency room? This has never happened before. He is very fit and healthy.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later

Sometimes the inflammation and pain are not apparent at the time of injury when one is in excitement and in sympathetic drive, the so-called "Adrenal rush" The pain is felt when one comes to rest. If he had received a blow during skating and probably forgotten it, that could be the cause of pain. If so then he needs pain killers and that should suffice.

But if there is no history of blow in the abdomen and if pain is deeper in the abdomen then it may be something serious resulting from sudden unadjusted move like-
1. Gut Perforation
2. Valvulus
3. Torsion Testis
4. Acute cardiac event
Such cases need immediate attention.

So it would be wise to visit emergency room and rule out the aforementioned possibilities. Investigations like complete blood count, renal function test, chest X-ray, EKG and ultrasound abdomen are indispensable.

I hope that answers your query. Let me know if you need more help.

Best Regards