Experiencing split urine. Routine checks said 3mm kidney stone. Is this the cause ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
2 years back I had undergone a routine medical checkup and the doctor had found that there is a 3 mm small kidney stone.Doctor had said need not worry if its not causing pain.So there is no pain in and around kidney are but i experience split urine.So is this becuase of kidney stone? So people say the stone passes off if you drink lots of water which i have been drinking since i knew abt this.What do you suggest me to do, should I ignore this or take any precautions
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

Your doctor has rightly advised you about the stone. Stones upto 7 mm in size usually pass of spontaneously and just need to be observed.

Now regarding the symptom of split urine. If this symptom has developed recently after an attack of pain or a burning sensation while passing urine then it could be attributable to a stone. Split streamed urine or double streamed urine can be seen in a person with stone in the urethra. So the previously noticed stone could have passed down to the outlet of the bladder wall or the urethra.

I would suggest you to get an X XXXXXXX KUB done and get the x XXXXXXX reviewed by a surgeon. If this evaluation turns out to be normal then you need not worry.

I hope this answers your doubt.

With regards
Follow-up: Experiencing split urine. Routine checks said 3mm kidney stone. Is this the cause ? 1 hour later
There is no pain and Burning sensation during urine is not often.It does happen sometime when i wakeup.And even split streamed happens occasionaly.If i have had lots of water then i dont face these issues.Like you said if the stone has moved to urethra then does it need a surgery or will it pass out normally? Provide possible treatments.
So far to my knowledge I never felt like stone had moved out.Will a person be able to make out or will it move out without knowledge or pain?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 17 hours later

Thanks again,

From the additional details which you have provided it appears that the cause of split stream is not due to a stone, as you do not have associated pain and burning sensation which are fixed accompaniments of a passing stone.

In view of the size of the stone as determined by Ultrasonogram you don't have to worry. Even it is a stone it will pass of spontaneously. Small stones pass of without causing symptoms. You will not require any surgical intervention.

I would suggest you to continue with the habit of drinking at least 2 to 2.5 litres of water daily. That will solve your problem.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.
If all your queries are answered, do close this discussion and rate it.

With Regards