Experiencing sore throat, pain in jaw and painful ear popping. What am I suffering from?

Hi I started with a minor sore throat a couple days ago , I also noticed that when my ears felt full and they popped that then developed into an earache that has now felt like it has moved down and I have quite a bit of pain right behind my jaw on the Left side.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

In the background of your given statements, it appears to me that a lymph node which may have enlarged either due to the sore throat infection or your Hashimoto's Thyroiditis could be causing the pain.

Another reason could be due to the thyroid gland tissue itself which does have pain areas under the jaw due to the ongoing lymphatic inflammation happening within the affected thyroid gland.

A clinical examination obviously would give more clues, and then therapy started as necessary. You would anyway need to be evaluated for your sore throat to make sure it is not a serious infection - in which case a short course of antibiotics may need to be prescribed.

Meanwhile, i would suggest you to do warm water gargling with pinch of salt 3-4 times per day. And get medical review as soon as you can if situation does not improve. Do not self medicate with any over the counter drugs, especially so if you are on medication for your thyroid - as you would not want any undue drug interactions which will be harmful.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.