Experiencing slight pinches at the top of heart. Have heart burn and coughing up phlegm. What do you suggest?

Hello, lately, I have been experiences slight pinches at the top of my heart. Sometimes, I nay feel that I have heartburn or something. Also, after meal. I tend to cough up Flem....Can anyone suggest something?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pantoprazole & domperidone,Gargle,Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

1. With your presentation the most probably cause could be acid peptic disease / reflux gastro oesophagitis. The other causes are muscle spam of chest wall or minor lung infection.
Since you sometimes feel like heart burn along with pain, you may be suffering from acid peptic disease.

2. For my patients with the similar complaints I advice proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole 40 mg with domperidone one tablet every evening 30 min before food with plenty of fluids, and life style modifications like having more frequent small quantity food once every 3 hours, 30 min walk before bed. This will help for acid peptic disease and for reflux disease. So I advice the same for you.

For musculoskeletal pain (Pain will be localized and increases on palpation) you can take NSAID like Ibuprofen 400mg with muscle relaxant like tizanidine after consulting your doctor.

3. After having food do plain water gargle and before food do salt water gargle for couple of days to prevent any throat infection and also to reduce flem after food.

4. There are many other causes of chest pain. Broadly speaking the cause may lie in your chest wall, lungs, or in your stomach or esophagus and finally in your heart. So I would suggests you to consult your physician once who will be able to evaluate you for your chest pain. You may need few investigations as a part of evaluation your chest pain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.