Experiencing skipped heart beat. Is it related to premature ventricular contraction?

Sep 2012

I have been told by mycardiologist I have pvc they are very bad in the morning also when I climb stairs. The. thing is they come and go I just had a monitor put. O and I'm waiting for results. Do you think these are pvs also I do not get them when I am sitting still only mo int around. I am on toporal this does seem wto help a little
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Firstly you have these skipped heartbeat / an exaggerated heartbeat irregularly, for a variable period of time. It denotes presence of ectopic beats. This may happen due to many cause. Premature ventricular contraction is one of them.
To diagnose this condition as a PVC, first you have to be examined clinically. Then ECG should be done in doctor's chamber followed by a 24 hr holter monitoring. Then an Echo should be done to exclude any other cardiac abnormalities.
Without these reports and a thorough physical examination, it is hard to diagnose. But your symptoms indicates possibility more towards PVC.

You are being treated with a beta blocker group of drug. If it is of no help consult with your cardiologist to change the drugs with calcium channel blocker / antiarrythmic agents.
But the most effective treatment modality is radiofrequency ablation.

Summary : I think the condition you are suffering from is possibly premature ventricular contraction. But wait for the holter report. Consult with your treating doctor for changing the drug.

Hope the information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.