Experiencing significant post penile implant surgery swelling. Scrotum swollen. What to do?

May 2014

I am experiencing significant post penile implant surgery swelling. My scrotum is now about the size of a grapefruit or a regulation softball. I would like to know the sequence of hot and cold therapy and the time intervals to assist in this reduction. The surgery was on October 9th and the increased swelling seemed to begin on the second day after the procedure.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Heat cold therapy details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.

Heat and cold are the two most common types of noninvasive and nonaddictive pain-relief therapies for muscle and joint pain. Which one you use depends on whether the pain is new or recurring.

In general, a new injury will cause inflammation and possibly swelling. Ice will decrease the blood flow to the injury, thereby decreasing inflammation and swelling. Pain that recurs can be treated with heat, which will bring blood to the area and promote healing.

Heat therapy:

Sources of heat can supply either dry or moist warmth. Dry heat sources may dry the skin. Moist heat may penetrate better. Heat can be applied by an electric or microwavable heating pad, hot water bottle, gel packs, or hot water baths. The heat should be warm, not too hot, and should be maintained at a consistent temperature, if possible.

Don’t apply it directly to skin. Instead, wrap the hot device in a thin towel.

Don’t apply heat for longer than 20 minutes, unless your doctor or physical therapist recommends longer.

Don’t use heat if there’s swelling. Use cold first, then heat.

Don’t use heat if you have poor circulation or diabetes.

Don’t use heat on an open wound or stitches.

Don’t lie down on a heating pad; you could fall asleep and burn your skin.

Cold Therapy:

Cold is applied by an ice or gel pack.

Any cold treatment should be used for 24 to 48 hours after an injury. Cold therapy is good for sprains, strains, bumps, and bruises that may occur in sports or lifting. Apply cold packs or ice bags to injured areas for no more than 20 minutes at a time, removing the cold for 10 minutes and reapplying it again.

Don’t apply it for longer than 20 minutes. Also, wrap ice or ice packs in a thin towel before applying.

If you feel uncomfortable anytime during and after heat cold therapy, please stop and consult your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.