Experiencing shortness of breath, chest tightness, back pain and cough. Diagnosed with asthma, given amox, steroid and ibuprofen

can you have pneumonia and have had a clear xray, I've been experiencing shortness of breath, chest tightness, back pain. severe coughing. ( I believe I showed a house after it had just been sprayed) I'm a realtor.I have went to the doctor twice, emergency room once. Emergency room mainly checked out my heart, and gallbladder, its fine.
The first time I went to the Dr. she sent me to ER, and then told me it was asthma, which I have never had.( gave me 2 inhalers) I went again Thursday, this time she gave 875 amox., steriods, cough med, Ibprofen 800. I am concerned because my back hurts so bad, Ibprofen didn't touch it last night. Only on the right side.i also have a burning feeling in my chest
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes pneumonia may have a normal xray

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms go well with pneumonia. However, sometimes in early stage, chest xray may be normal in pneumonia. Antibiotics and inhalers to tide over this seems reasonable to me. Steroid may help decrease the inflammation. For back pain you may use hot fomentation and / or analgesic gels available over the counter.
Overall, I feel you are on the right track and should get better in a week. If not, then we need to evaluate further.
Hope I have answered your queries. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.