Experiencing shortness of breath after taking Metaprolol. What to do?

My husband had cardio-version Friday to reset his rapid heart rate. Prior to the procedure, he was prescribed Metaprolol which has caused him to have intensive shortness of breath (side effect). Nurse said that he would get used to it, and after the procedure, he is still taking it (200 mgs per day), and his shortness of breath is worse now than before. His heart rate is in the 40's and 50's now, and his blood pressure is also good @ 125/81. I plan on calling the specialist first thing in the morning to schedule his first follow-up visit (ASAP) but am wondering if we should consider a trip back to the hospital ER for intermediate intervention/check-up. I've been having him just rest and relax in his chair all weekend, but he is also very concerned. Should we wait until tomorrow, or seek medical attention this evening? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes - take him to ER / he needs immediate evaluation....

This slow rate may be the effect of metoprolol / Or from a disease of the nerve (conduction system) of the heart - Sick Sinus Syndrome typically causes rapid or slow rates at different times... He may need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS); a pacemaker may have to be implanted...

Metoprolol may also be responsible for the shortness of breath / there are alternatives...

Let the doctor see him as soon as possible / he needs an ECG NOW / better be safe than sorry..Go to ER

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck