Experiencing sharp stomach pain especially after eating. Suggest?

Hi, I am a 47 year old male and the past few days I have been experiencing sharp stomach pain down my right side and especially after I eat my dinner. Everything else seems normal when I go to the toilet.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment would suffice

Detailed Answer:

I read your query with diligence. It seems like you are suffering from peptic ulcer disease (PUD) or an acute gastritis. This is not worrisome.

Please take bland diet for the next few days. You may consider taking drug belonging to proton pump inhibitors group like Omeprazole 20 mg early in the morning on empty stomach for a week. This medicine is available over the counter for you.

Drink plenty of fluids orally, rest well. Avoid alcohol and smoke, if you use any.

You should be fine sooner.

Follow-up: Experiencing sharp stomach pain especially after eating. Suggest? 12 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback, I just got of the phone with a registered nurse who informs me that I might have a gallstone problem and should seek medical attention immediately.
I am going to see how I go and ring my GP in the morning.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gall stone unlikely

Detailed Answer:

In my view, it is unlikely that it is gall stone. Here, the pain would be continuous, and associated with flatulence, abdominal bloating, indigestion, and other non-specific findings. Please check if you have these symptoms as well.

Also, go ahead with your proceedings, and see if you can get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to confirm or rule out the same.

Whatever be the cause, I wish you quick recovery.

Keep me posted on the update.