Experiencing sharp, shooting pains in shoulder. Feels burning and tingling. Should I see a specialist?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm experiencing sharp, shooting pains in my right shoulder that trickle down to my right hand. Feels like someone has a needle in my shoulder that's poking the bone! I have feeling in my right hand, although it sometimes feels like burning and tingling. Is this something I can treat at home or do I need to see a specialist?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later
Dear user,

The symptoms are classic of cervical spondylosis, may be early. Shooting pain, tingling numbness and radiating pain suggest some pathology in your cervical spine. At your age its more likely due to inappropriate posture than age related wear and tear.

Young people of your age usually suffer from transient attacks of cervical spondylosis due to long hours of work infront of computers, lack of exercise etc. You have to find out your reason for having this. If you fail to find out, there must be other reason internally like a slipped disc between your vertebrae.

You definitely need to visit your orthopaedician at earliest. You need few anti inflammatory-muscle relaxant medicines, rest, hot fomentation, cervical traction and once the pain stops some cervical exercises. Remember, the only long term treatment is not medications but neck exercises life long, or else you'll keep having relapses once in a while. Also discontinue using thick pillow, take frequent stretch breaks from work and have an upright posture all times.

Hope this helps you understand the situation. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Follow-up: Experiencing sharp, shooting pains in shoulder. Feels burning and tingling. Should I see a specialist? 1 hour later
Thank you for the response thus far.

The pain is more in where my upper arm bone connects to the joint in my shoulder. Some positions that I hold my arm in hurt worse than others.

I regularly exercise and am not overweight - is it possible that this is not related to my cervical spine?
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 37 minutes later
Dear user,
Thanks for writing back.

There is a possibility of an intra articular shoulder pathology. Nevertheless tingling and burning parasthesias are pointing more towards spinal abnormality. If it's a positional trouble only experienced during certain arm movements, then you should still investigate it with physical examination and supported with some radiological test like x XXXXXXX or MRI.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back for more help.