Experiencing shaking, chills and sweating in middle of night. Any thoughts?

Nov 2013

For the past few weeks I have been experience shaking chills during the day, no fever, but then will wake up sweating in the middle of the night. My heat is about 55 in my bedroom, and I have 1 blanket. THoughts?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most common causes of chills (without too much cold) is an infection. The commonest infection to do that would be an UTI). Other bacterial and viral infections could also do that. So even if you do not have fever or any burning while passing urine, I would do an urine examination to exclude an UTI.

If you have loss of appetite and/or loss of weight, then, a disease of lymph glands, lymphoma needs to be excluded. Night sweats can occur in this condition.

So, as of now, there is no need to worry.

Please XXXXXXX your GP and then discuss these with him.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Experiencing shaking, chills and sweating in middle of night. Any thoughts? 4 minutes later
I don't have disease of the lymph glands, but have had numerous problems with swelling glands (neck and armpits) and high wbc over the last few months.

I'll make an appt with them to rule out UTI and other infections. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Your findings are suggestive of infection- both swelling of glands and high WBC count point to that.

With proper evaluation, and early treatment, you would recover soon.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM