Experiencing severe right side headaches followed by numbness. Having sinus infection. Done with CAT scan and lumbar puncture. Cure?

Nov 2013

I have been experiencing severe right side headaches followed by temporary right side numbness for the past few weeks. It only last a minute or two. Went to hospital 2.5 weeks ago told it was a sinus infection.Before the headaches I experience heightened sense of smell. Today at work had violent headache. , felt dizzy went away. Headache came back more severe then almost passed out right side went numb almost fell. Co worker asked me if I was okay my brain was telling me I answered him saying I was fine but no words could come. out. I felt like I said it but I couldn't I went to hospital had another attack where my whole right side went numb and my tonge rolled up into a ball and I couldn't talk for abouat two minutes. My son said my whole right side of my face went slack. They did a cat scan and lumbar puncture and said everything was fine and referred me to aneurologist. what is this
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be migraine, but need to exclude TIA

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

The most common cause of episodic one sided headaches is migraine. Heightend sense of smell could be "olfactory aura" that precedes headache episodes in migraine. Neurological symptoms such as numbness and weakness can occur in migraine too.

However, the most important condition that we need to exclude in your case is TIA- transient ischemic attack. In this condition, the blood supply to a part of brain is reduced for a short time, when neurological symptoms occur. In your case, a lack of blood supply to the left side of brain could result in right sided numbness, weakness, and inability to speak.

Evaluation would include MRI and MR angiogram brain, and carotid Doppler. Risk factors for TIA include high BP, sugars, cholesterol and homocysteine, and they should be screened for too.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist