Experiencing severe pain in right buttock down to leg. MRI showing degenerative changes in L4-L5. Suggest treatment to relieve pain

Neurologist, Surgical
I am experiencing servere pain in my right buttock and down my right leg. I had an mri. it said

At L4-L5 severe bilateral hypertrophic facet degenerative changes, redundancy of the ligamentum flavum and a degenerative synovial cyst arising from the right facet, measuring 1.0 to 0.4 cm, have caused severe central canal stenosis. there is also a 4mm broad-based disc bulge with an annular ter, which contributes to the central canal stenosis. mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing is seen.
I am seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow. what can I ask him to do to relieve the significant pain I have been in for the past two months. Disabling. email address

Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 13 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Respected sir,
My best wishes for a speedy recovery
I have gone through your medical history & MRI report in detail.
It is treated conservatively in most of the cases, under a neurosurgeon’s guidance
May I suggest you

1 Take analgesic/muscle relaxant combination

2 local analgesic gel application also helps.

3 Take BED REST for about 2 weeks

4. Consult a neurosurgeon for complete neurological examination, as SURGICAL DECOMPRESSION IS needed for few cases who have some neurological deficit.

Deptt. of neurosurgery