Experiencing severe jaw, facial and head muscle spasm. Underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am suffering from severe jaw and facial and head muscle spasms, I've had this problem for many years, I have been under tremendous stress in the last several years or so, the worst being in the last year. I always seem to notice that my jaw pain is worse when I get stressed. I seem to have a weakness in my jaw and that's where the stress goes. My jaw is in constant spasm and pain and is only getting worse. Help!!
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle spasm. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone. Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome can also be the causative factors.
In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.
In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is normal for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.

This can be relieved by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary. You can get it prescribed from your physician.

It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.