Experiencing severe itching around the entrance to vagina with dryness. Was on IUD. Diagnosed with herpes

Mar 2016

hello, i have been experiencing severe itching around the entrance to my vagina and just inside of it, also my clitoris itches badly and sometimes is excruciatingly painful to the touch. Sometimes my clitoris will become enlarged but im not sexually stimulatd and my vagina will turn very red just on the inside. the itching also extends to my anus occasionaly but it feel like its "inside". I have been diagnosed with Herpes but i havent had a break out in about a year and there are no bumps or wounds or anything to suggest an outbreak. Soaking in a warm tub can help but only temporarily. i havent changed detergents or soap. The itching gets unbearable and I have aslo noticed vaginal dryness, thats when it itches the most. I had an IUD for 5 years and had it removed a month ago. The Mirena came with its own probs and i wonder if it has anything to do with that. Also i have had 3 children natural birth.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

With above clinical findings, there are several possibilities and these are as follows:

1) Vulvovaginitis- caused by any type of STD (particularly trichomoniasis) with/ without co-existence of vaginal yeast/ fungal infection.
2) Allergic/ hypersensitivity reaction in contact with soap/ detergent/ other bath products/ perfume/ douching, causing repeated irritation & itching inside vagina and other parts of vulva/ clitoris.
3) Others- Inserting foreign body (like tampons/ vaginal contraceptive etc), vaginal Dryness, atrophic vaginitis, poor genital hygiene etc.

In above said condition, you need to take proper oral antibiotic medication along with anti fungal/ cortisone cream to apply locally. Taking anti histamine drugs like cetirizine is quite helpful in case of allergic reaction.

Here, I suggest you to consult with a dermatologist/ gynecologist for some relevant investigation (like vaginal swab test/ blood test etc) after pelvic examination to rule out underlying etiology if any.

The following measures can be helpful to alleviate above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
3) Apply water based lubricant or vagisil cream to avoid vaginal dryness.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Remove underwear at bedtime.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or detergent powder/ soap or condoms/ tampons. Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning with plain water only.
6) Try to avoid stress and take sound sleep with complete body relaxation. Taking warm water soaked pad gives some relief. Keep the genital area dry with decreased moisture.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question"

Wish your good health and take care of yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Experiencing severe itching around the entrance to vagina with dryness. Was on IUD. Diagnosed with herpes 1 hour later
Not so much...ive had a pap done in the last month that turned out normal. I was trested for a bacterial infection with oral antibiotics and it cleared up just fine. In fact about a month before "that" i took a regimin of antibiotics for a XXXXXXX cut on my toe. No STD's and my husband and i are exclusive to each other. I do use tampons sometimes but this has never happened before. My clothes arent tight because ive lost a LOT of weight and i havent changed any of my soaps or detergents. I dont douche and the only object that ive inserted other than a tampon (or my husband) was a spermicide film. I tried it twice while transitioning from Mirena to Ortho-Evra.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 34 minutes later

Thanks for your response and giving some additional information regarding your problem.

With exclusion of some etiological factors, it may be due to early onset of vaginal yeast infection or allergic reaction to certain chemical substance with co-existence of vaginal dryness.

Though, one pelvic examination is needed for clinical check up and to confirm the diagnosis. Consulting dermatologist/ gynecologist can help you regarding this.

In the mean time, you should follow previous mentioned suggestive measures. Local application of anti-fungal/ anti-inflammatory cream and proper antibiotic medication/ anti-histamine tabs can alleviate this type of problem.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen