Experiencing severe headache, high temperature and burning sensation while passing urine. Advice?

I have been running a high temperature since yesterday monring. When I urinate, it burns, and the amount of urine is negligible as compared to before. Also, the urine color is dark yellow. Also, I have severe headache. I haven't felt this tired since I last had hepatitis A in the month of October 2012. Please advise
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 3 hours later
Almost certainly you have a urinary tract infection. This can be easily confirmed by doing a few tests to confirm the presence of infection - you can have 1) complete Urine examination 2) Urine culture 3) an ultrasound examination of your kidneys and bladder region with a full bladder and after you have passed urine (Post Void residue) 4) Serum Creatinine. The last test is to estimate renal function, as some medicines we can give may be affected by a high value of Creatinine.
Once you have the tests done, there is no need to wait till all the results are available, and you can be started on symptomatic treatment straightaway.
What I would suggest is that you do take plenty of oral fluids yourself, approximately 3-4 litres per day - not necessarily only water - you can take butter milk, fruit juices, tender coconut water.
You can be started on an antibiotic like Ofloxacin 200 mg twice daily till your culture report comes through. If the culture says the infection is susceptible to Ofloxacin, you can continue the same for another one week. If not, the antibiotic can be changed to one that will work according to the culture report.
You can use something like Citra-alka syrup thrice daily diluted with water after meals. This will reduce burning pain, especially if you combine with Tab. Pyridium also thrice daily. This may colour your urine orange red - nothing to worry.
You can also take medications like Urimax to help you pass urine better, but I do not know if you can get all these medicines without prescription. This will be more useful if the ultrasound examination picks up any anomaly - Urinary infections are more common among females, but in men every urinary tract infection should be properly investigated.
Most likely you will feel much better within 48 hours after starting to take medication.
Let me know how you are progressing.
All the best,