Experiencing severe back pain and abdominal cramps. Abdomen feels tender to touch. Taking adderall xr. Worried?

May 2013
Hello, I am a healthy 22 year old female, for about three months I have been experiencing severe pain on the left side of my lower back- and moderate lower left abdominal pain- it's worse during my menstrual cycle but the pain is always present, and has been getting worse. There is an intense pulsating sensation in my mid abdomen that has occured for about two years but recently that area of my abdomen is tender to touch. Occasionally I get fairly dizzy and experience shortness of breath. I have been taking adderall xr 20mg twice daily for 3 years- no other prescriptions or medication. Is this something I should be worried about?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Renal problems, PID, drug side effects

Detailed Answer:
According to your description the possible causes for your problem are :
- Pain in the left lower back and in the left lower abdomen can be due to renal problems like renal stones etc.
-One more possibility is pelvic inflammatory disease, which can present with pain abdomen.
-Sometimes cystic lesions or masses of the ovary can present with pain abdomen and pulsating sensation.
-Adderallxt containing amphetamine and dexoamphetamine can cause side effects like strange sensations under the skin, dizziness and shortness of breath etc.
So you once consult physician, get examined and go for ultrasound.
By this the possible cause for your abdominal problem can be identified and treated.
At the same time with your doctor's advice check for the possible side effects of Adderallxt, and adjust the dosage or shift to another drug with his advice.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.