Experiencing severe abdominal pain. Found pus in urine. What am I suffering from?

Sep 2012

27 year old female, SEVERE abdominal pain that comes in waves. NOT like anything I have ever experienced before. I have been to hospital twice in the last week, this is going on almost 2 weeks. They found pus in my urine and gave me a one time dose of antibiotics for a UTI. I am not convinced this is all it is, I have had UTI's in the past and have never had this level of pain, when it comes on it is an instant 10 for level of pain and last 15 minutes and then eases off.
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 59 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

From your description of pain, its duration, its level, its colicky nature, I am not satisfied with just urinary tract infection. I agree with you in this regard.

The pain you described indicates a colicky nature which is seen in presence of any stone in urinary tract, any intestinal disease condition like cholecystitis, appendicitis. In my opinion, urinary stone is the most possible cause.

You should consult with your treating doctor for an ultrasound study of whole abdomen. But a clinical examination is very important to rule out any other possibility.

One more point is, in urinary tract infection, you may experience this type of pain. But in that case, treatment should be more meticulous. The one dose antibiotic is not recommended. A minimum 7 to 10 days course of broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin is recommended. You can also consult with your treating doctor about it.

For this colicky pain, you can take anti-colicky agent like dicyclomine group of drug.

So, consult with your treating doctor about the points I have mentioned.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Experiencing severe abdominal pain. Found pus in urine. What am I suffering from? 1 hour later
Thank you so much, I agree with what you have said. I have one major problem in this case. I am allergic to all new prescription is for a new antibiotic called Monurol? He said I should be ok with this, I have not taking it yet as I am waiting for it to come in to my pharmacy (hopefully today) but a0 I have worries about being allergic to this one and b) I worry that it wont be strong enough. and i have had UTI's in the past and NEVER have I had this type of pain, I am literally crying like a baby at 27 years old when these spasms happen.

Thank you so much for your help and advice
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 34 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

It is really a problem to give you an antibiotic.

Monurol is a newer agent. It contains fosfomycin. It is a good antibiotic. You must try it.

Look, for take an antibiotic. As you are allergic to all antibiotics, you should try it. Without any antibiotic it is impossible to control this type of infection.

Secondly, fosfomycin is famous for its action on bladder and urinary tract infection particularly in women. It acts by stopping the growth of the bacteria. So, do not worry about its ability. It is a strong and broad spectrum antibiotic.

For relief from pain, you should consult with your treating doctor for antispasmodic agent.

Hope you have your answers.