Experiencing seizure after an head collision. Suffer amnesia. Taking topramate. How safe is this medicine?

I have lost whole days 5-7 witout remembering anything.My student's parents were talking in Spanish about me saying I was drunk,out of it...After only 2 weeks of school I was asked to bring a dr.s release allowing me to teach.After I drove the wrong direction on the highway and caused a headon collision did I go to a neurologist.I had been seizuring.I can only thank God that the person I hit head on was ok and I was ok.I had my driving privalages taken away for 3 months.This happened in March.The school-my work was in August.Now I've come to believe that when I have amnesia it indicates I've seizured.. I began taking topramate along with my 200mgs of lyrica wic I've taken for for 8 years.My epilepsy came oon after 1 1/2 years of extreme stress where I felt figt or flight symptoms.Wiil it go away and how safe,is this medicine?I am on ltd wit the state and doubt I will ever be able to return to teaching(1st grade)..What can you tell me about the type of epilepsy I have?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for asking.

I think you are suffering from complex partial seizures.

Complex partial seizures are often preceded by a seizure XXXXXXX The XXXXXXX may manifest itself as a feeling of fear, euphoria or depersonalization.

The seizure XXXXXXX might also occur as a visual disturbance, such as tunnel vision or a change in the size of objects.Once consciousness is impaired, the person may display automatism such as lip smacking, chewing or swallowing.

There may also be loss of memory (amnesia) surrounding the seizure event.

The person may still be able to perform routine tasks such as walking, although such movements are not purposeful or planned. Witnesses may not recognize that anything is wrong.

Lot of your description about the event fits into the picture.

Prognosis depends upon how well the epilepsy is controlled with the medicines,if the symptoms are well controlled with medicine or a combination of medicines, the patient can expect to live a normal productive life .

Please let me know if you need further information.