Experiencing red, itchy skin and needles on the skin. How to get rid of this?

My 19 year old son is experiencing red, itchy skin and chills Pins and needles on the skin He got this last night for about 20 min and then it went away he was fine in the night and all day and has just experienced the same symptoms again the first time it happened was when he came out of the shower I thought it might be an allergy to soap but today he had no contact with the soap, but both times it has occurred in his apt in British Columbia Any ides?Thanks< XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Heat rash.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. He can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing the skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
I advise him to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.