Experiencing pulsing sensation on arm. What is the cause?

I can occasionally feel what acts like a 'pulsing' on my scalp. What does this mean? (I'm a nurse, don't have lice, etc.)
I'm not sure what else to add; this happens occasionally, not all the time. I have only noticed it within the last couple of years. My BP is normal.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query, and if you do not mind, have a few additional questions for you. They are:
-Do you experience and pain or headaches?
-Do you experience any numbness?
-Any recent injuries or trauma in the region or surrounding it?

Even before you answer these queries let me put forward the possibilities for you, so you could relate to them.
-Dehydration: This has often caused such a presentation in individuals; make sure you are consuming enough fluids
-Rest: In some individuals, stress and lack of sleep has also resulted in such a presentation. Make sure you are not over-working yourself and getting sufficient amount of sleep and rest. I can understand it is difficult for you to do so in your field of work, but health always comes first
-Anxiety and other similar conditions
-Common headache
-Visual disturbances: A change in power of vision can also cause such a presentation, it is usually accompanied by headaches; even blurry vision is possible
-Blood vessel abnormalities: At times some abnormalities in the blood vessels can result in inflammation and thus present in similar ways (eg. temporal arteritis)

If you can relate to any of the above conditions, you could consult a doctor to find the solution and permanently resolve it. If you experience any serious and continuous pain for more than 24 hours, you will have to rush to the doctor immediately.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. I wish you a speedy recovery. In your field of work, which is God's work, you help dozens of people in a day, it is time to help yourself by taking care of your health.

My best wishes are with you.
God bless.