Experiencing prostatitis symptoms. Urine test normal. Could it be be to anxiety? Worried for STD

The symptoms I am about to explain come and go, but most days I have them.
I am experiencing symptoms very similar to prostatitis. It feels like I am sitting on a ball when I sit, the muscles in my pelvic region feel like they are squeezing my prostate, I sometimes have testicle pain, bust mostly just discomfort right behind my penis if that makes sense. Sometimes the tip of my penis burns. I work in an office, and therefore sit a lot.
Also, around the same time I noticed these symptoms starting, I noticed a mass in my scrotum. From what I can feel it feels like the vas deferens is enlarged on my left testicle, or the tube exiting the bottom of my testicles. There is no pain to touch or squeeze it, and there is also no pain to touch or squeeze my testicles or epididymis. But the tube exiting my testicle is definitely enlarged.
I do not have any discharge at all, and it does not burn or hurt to urinate.
So here's my problem... I am 27 years old and I had unprotected sex about 10 months ago. I started experiencing these symptoms about a week afterwards. So I immediately thought I had an STI. I went to the clinic and had an STI screen done. It came back negative, so I waited a few months and the symptoms were still there. So I went and got tested again for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Again the urine tests came back negative. (they are testing urine using NAAT to test urine in my clinic) The doctor told me it must be abacterial prostatitis because there is no sign of infection. He also felt my testicles and said there is nothing to worry about there, but I am positive the tube exiting my left testicle is enlarged. and why would this all start immediately after unprotected sex.
I am just so stressed about this because I have a girlfriend now, and I don't want to infect her with anything.

So my questions for you are:
Is it possible that I am so unbelievably stressed out about this that I am causing the prostatitis symptoms from anxiety/guilt/stress?
Is it possible that my prostate or epididymis has a bacterial infection but a urine test is not picking it up? Maybe a prostate fluid sample is needed?
My biggest concern is that I have an STD.

Thank you for your time and help!!
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 minutes later

1.It is unlikely that stress will cause any of such symptoms.
2.This doesn't look like STD.Again your tests were also negative.
3.sometime prostate or epididymal infections can be missed on urine test.
4.I would suggest you to get a sonography done to have look at your prostate and scrotum. Get tested for PSA, these can be raised in prostatitis. Consider taking a course of broad spectrum antibiotics to see if symptoms resolve.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Experiencing prostatitis symptoms. Urine test normal. Could it be be to anxiety? Worried for STD 6 hours later
Thank you for your quick response.
You say prostate or epididymal infections can be missed on urine test. What type of infections can be missed on a urine test?
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Any kind of infection can be missed.Urine analysis can detect infection only if there are pus cells or micro-organism find there way to urine stream.Most commonly these are bacterial infections.
Follow-up: Experiencing prostatitis symptoms. Urine test normal. Could it be be to anxiety? Worried for STD 9 minutes later
Ok. So is it likely that an std could be acquired by intercourse, but only infect the epidymis and or prostate? Not the urethra? If this is possible, how can I rule out an std for sure so I can stop panicking.
Thank you again for your help I really appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 minutes later
Such infections are unlikely to be STD. STD screening tests are good enough to rule out STDs.If you have undergone such testing then no need to worry about STD. As I mentioned such infection are more likely to be bacterial infections other than STDs.