Experiencing problems controling urine discharge. Should I go to emergency?

Hi Doctor: I'm experiencing problems controling urine discharge. It's not constant, but I'm having this problem since yesterday September 25. Should I go to emergency? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to go to the emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through your question and I understand that you are concerned about the sudden onset of urinary incontinence.

There is no need for you to go to the emergency if you can schedule an appointment with your PCP in the next couple of days.

The problem you are facing is called as urinary incontinence, and there are different types of it.

1. Stress incontinence,
2. Overflow incontinence,
3. Urge incontinence,
4. Functional incontinence.

Incontinence can occur due to infection in the bladder, week bladder muscle, overactive nerves of the bladder, or weakened support structures of the urethra (The tube that comes out from the bladder).

Generally in older women stress incontinence is the most common type, but it can be mixed with urge incontinence as well.

The best way to find out what is the cause in you would be to visit a urologist and then do some investigations like, Complete blood counts and urine routine exam to see for infection, then ultrasound scan and urodynamic studies to see for stress or urge incontinence. The doctor will examine you and will check for stress incontinence.

So my suggestion to you is, please schedule an appointment with your PCP, do the complete blood counts, urine routine exam along with an ultrasound scan.

Then let your PCP decide if s/he can treat you or you need a referral to a urologist.

Hope this information is both helpful and informative. Please do write back if you have further concerns.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Warm regards,