Experiencing pressure on face and feeling uncomfortable. Is this the cause for concern?

experience a great deal of pressure on left side of face , seems to be - behind ear. strong pressure, then when I yawn, turn head a certain way a sharp grip type feeling happens up inside the left side of my neck toward the back. of my head on the inside. very uncomfortable. Have to watch how I lay my head at night as I will have a great deal of pressure on left side in the morning
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for your question,
Pressure towards or behind the ear, unilateral nature of the this pain towards same side could suggest most probably a chronic mastoiditis or a chronic ENT problem. The mastoid process is the bone just behind the ear above the neck. This bone contains some cavities, and when these cavities are infected, they cause a mastoiditis, which presents classically with this aching pain, unilateral, tender to touch and irradiating towards the neck.
It is usually caused by a middle ear infection. If you have had a history of a middle ear infection or other ENT infection, that could be an important risk factor. Other diseases that could present as such could be tumours, cerebral venous thrombosis, chronic spreading sinusitis, chronic otitis media.
A brain CT scan, an ear CT scan and a skull X XXXXXXX will be required to draw conclusions. Complications of this disease could range from septicemias, bacteria spreading to the rest of the body or to the brain which could cause a brain abscess.
A consultation by an ENT specialist is therefore compelling for a clear and definitive diagnosis to be made, in order to institute an appropriate treatment plan.
Thanks and hope this helps. Will be honored answering further worries if need be.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Experiencing pressure on face and feeling uncomfortable. Is this the cause for concern? 3 days later
had follow-up with family doctor after a cat scan of left side of head and neck, very interesting response, a rare problem exists, doctors do not know how to treat. This large vein (not artery) but large vein that runs from right side of head is smaller then suppose to be, so after all this time the blood flow is going to left side vein causing the vein on left side to stretch to compensate the lack of space in vein on right side. This causes the very uncomfortable pressure on the left side of my face., per my question to you earlier. The radiologist, and cardiologist are stumped as to know what to do. I was prescribed mild pain pill for the time until futher testing can be done. Have you heard of this and do you have a response, The response here is that this is very rare, and stumped. thanking you in advance, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 28 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the response,
its exciting to learn of this off course rare pathology. However,I however find it a bit difficult to explain what you experience with this diagnosis. I would have expected that may be the symptoms you experience should actually worsen on effort or when you do some work. Also an clinical evaluation should show some dilatation of veins in the less compensated side which we call varicosities, and thirdly, I would have expected to have a mild difference in the coloration of the left side compared to the right side of your face.These are normal physiologic expected results to be seen with what the XXXXXXX colleagues describe. They are more XXXXXXX and certainly got more experience and expertise.
However, I would be very glad if you could upload and send me a copy of the scan or report from radiologist so I could discuss with my XXXXXXX faculty members too. I shall certainly read and ask more with to that, and maybe , we have the opportunity to talk more on it.
I suggest you stick to the advice of the cardiologist and if you could send me those reports so I could make further contributions if any, I would be very glad.
Just the best of health and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.