Experiencing pressure on breastbone and tingling sensation in fingers. What is the disease called?

Hi over the past 12 months I have been experiencing dull, pressure like discomfort on the left side of my breastbone. The discomfort may last minutes or hours. Sometimes it wakes me from sleep and at other times I also have tingling in my left fingers and heaviness in the top of my left arm.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You should see your GP.

Your symptoms do not suggest Coronary Artery Disease (CAD).
The pain doesn't last hours / and is mostly related to effort.
CAD is not common in young women...

However, it is better to have it investigated.
A thorough history and physical examination is the first step -
     ECG (Electrocardiogram / EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination.
     If there are no clues, a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram (TMT), will be the next step.
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).

If they are alright, you may need X-rays of the chest, cervical spine and so on to look for non-cardiac causes of the pain.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck