Experiencing pressure headaches and lower back pain. Is this die to normal ageing process?

Hi There I experience 'pressure headaches' and lower back pain most mornings when I get ou of bed. The pressure headaches often have me getting out of bed early ( after 6-7 hours sleep). I have worked as a plumber for 16 years and as a plumbing manager since. I have lower back pain but am generally fit and well. I am a vegetarian (7years). I have constant crainial ringing and often experience pressure behind the eyes. Once I am upright the pressure headache reduces and most days disappears. I function quite well with these symptoms they are not acutely debilitating but constantly wearing, however I think the efects are increasing very slowly. Wondering if these symptoms are anything other than a normal ageing process? Kind Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need to rule out other causes before assuming age Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. If you do not mind me asking, I would like some information from you before we consider your presentation to be associated with normal aging. Could you tell me about your regimen the second half of the day. I need to know what time you have your lunch and what the time you usually have your dinner? How would you rate the quantity of food you have for dinner on a scale of 0 to 5, 5 being over-eating and 0 being not eating at all. Also, what is the time gap you leave between your dinner and bed time? And finally, how many hours do you usually sleep? The lower back pain can be attributed to both your profession and aging, and so can the pressure behind your eyes. I would either way advise an eye examination (by an ophthalmologist) to check on your vision, and a orthopedic consultation for your lower back related-issues. I have also noticed that your headache changes with a change in posture, this could also be related to blood pressure, so please do get your blood pressure checked with change in posture at the doctors. I am looking forward to hearing from you, in order to be able to accurately help you and find the cause (if any) resulting in your presentation, before assuming this to be normal aging process. Wishing you nothing but the best. Best wishes sir.
Follow-up: Experiencing pressure headaches and lower back pain. Is this die to normal ageing process? 19 hours later
Hi XXXXX, Thankyou for your response. It sits very comfortably. 5 days my routine is as follows I have oats for breakfast at 5.00am. Lunch is 2 x sandwiches (4 slices bread) between 11.00am and 12.00pm. Dinner is about a 3 in size and had at around 8.00pm. bed at 9.30pm and get up at 4.30pm (7hrs) 2 days Routine similar to above just get up at 6.00am and go to bed around 10.30pm Thankyou XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: A few changes to regimen + few investigations Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for that information sir. I would like your help in the following way: -Continue with the current regimen; except try to increase the meal size a tad bit, say 3.5/5 -But do add either a glass of milk, or something milk (eg. two slices of bread) 30 minutes before you go to sleep as there is almost a 9 hours fasting period between dinner and breakfast, which I am not too happy about -Try to make breakfast the heaviest and largest meal of the day, followed by lunch and then dinner. Your lunch seems to be mild-moderate, you could increase the calories consumed in this meal Please do try the advised regimen, and see if it helps prevent or reduce the morning headaches. If you feel the above mentioned regimen is leading to discomfort or weight gain, I would advise the addition of mild exercise (Eg. 15-30 minutes of walking, preferably during the first half of the day). Also sir, please do get your postural blood pressure and glycaemic profile checked, including random blood sugar (RBS) to be checked at three different times of the day (eg. morning, afternoon and night), fasting blood sugar (FBS), post-prandial blood sugar (PPBS), and HbA1c. I am looking forward to hearing from you in a few days time, to see if the above regimen has helped you. And also to learn about the advised test results. Wishing you nothing but good health sir. Best wishes.