Experiencing pregnancy symptoms. Is it possible to get pregnant when I am not ovulating?

Infertility Specialist
Is it possible to not ovulate during a cycle, yet experience pregnancy symptoms during that cycle? I am ttc #2 and had a blood test done on day 21 of my cycle, to check progesterone. My result was very very low and was advised I did not ovulate. It is now day 30 of a cycle that is normally 28 or 29 days. If I didn't ovulate, how could I experience pregnancy symptoms? For at least a week - 3rd week of cycle) - talk about confusing! I am going to be 40 later this year and becoming very anxious. Not helping I know! My son is 15 months old, my periods returned when he was 10 months old, due to breastfeeding. I conceived again as soon as my cycle returned, but suffered a miscarriage at 9 weeks. I have now had 3 cycles and worry that my progesterone levels are the reason why I cannot conceive / hold onto pregnancy. I am fit and healthy, very conscious of "looking after myself". I have had several sessions of acupuncture and my periods are regular and straightforward. We conceived our son quickly and had an amazing pregnancy. I have an appt with my doctor next week and wonder should I request progesterone cream, suppositories? Thank you for any light you may be able to shine.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

1) Pregnancy symptoms as such are not specific and does not mean anything. The symptoms are very vague and general. Hence get a urine pregnancy test to get pregnancy confirmed. Do not rely on symptoms as they do not mean anything.

2) If ovulation has not occurred as you say then pregnancy will not occur in anovulatory cycles. Taking progesterone supplements will not help and is a wrong method.

3) Instead I advise you to get regular follicular growth scan from your doctor to see if follicles are growing. When a dominant follicle reaches 18 mm size, start having intercourse which will maximize your chances of a pregnancy.

4) If progesterone levels are low after ovulation, then take suppositories.

5) Since you are turning 40, follicular growth scan and intercourse accordingly is a better option than just taking progesterones.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Experiencing pregnancy symptoms. Is it possible to get pregnant when I am not ovulating? 21 hours later
Thank you very much Dr for your help. I appreciate your opinion. I did a HPT this morning and it was negative. Unfortunately I live in XXXXXXX and having regular scans may not be an option - I can discuss with my doctor next week.
Do you believe breastfeeding could affect my ability to conceive / ovulate? I nurse my 15 month old in the morning and evening, for 5 mins each time. Up until one month ago he was nursing at least once per night. Since he has stopped night feeding, my hair and skin are in bad condition. Could this relate to the reduction in breastfeeding?
Is low progesterone a common problem? Especially in those women who breastfeed? I had a normal progesterone result the month before last, yet a very low result just last month. How could it drop so drastically?
Thanks again Dr. Kind regards, Fiona.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Hi, glad to see you back.

Stopping or decreasing breast feeding is not related to hair fall or skin problems. You need to take balanced diet, good sleep and multivitamin pills.

Low progesterone values in few cycles is not a problem . It's common in some cycles hence don't worry about one low value. Repeat again after 2 cycles and you will find it normal.

If you can't get regular follicular growth scans, please get home urinary ovulation detection kit which identifies ovulation - the right time to have intercourse and start progesterone supplements.

I hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Experiencing pregnancy symptoms. Is it possible to get pregnant when I am not ovulating? 20 hours later
Should I stop or reduce breastfeeding, to help improve my progesterone levels? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

Breast-feeding is not associated with progesterone levels. To Breast-feed or not, is your decision as it will not interfere with progesterone levels.

Since your baby is 15 months old, you can consider stopping breast-feeding and start the diet as per pediatrician's guidelines.

I hope you are clearer now. Let me know if you have any more doubts. If you have no more queries, Please accept my answer.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist